Published on June 10th, 2014 | by thevyne0
[VIDEO] Shonda Rhimes Shares Wisdom at Dartmouth’s Commencement
On Sunday, June 8th, Shonda Rhimes spoke at the commencement for Dartmouth College, her alma mater. Apparently it is rare for an alum to speak at a commencement (she joked about how the others were Robert Frost and Mister Rogers), and Shonda did not disappoint. She was funny, authentic, candid and funny. Here are some of the key messages she shared with the audience:
– Don’t be a dreamer. While others are dreaming, successful people are actually doing.
– Don’t be an a**hole.
– Find a cause you love and pay it back to the world.
– Stop pretending hashtags are the same as doing something.
– How does Shonda do it all? She doesn’t. “Whenever you see me somewhere succeeding in one area of my life, that almost certainly means that I am failing in another area of my life.”
– Be brave. Be amazing. Be worthy. But most importantly, always be yourself.
See the full speech below. Start at 1:41: