Published on December 5th, 2013 | by thevyne0
Entrepreneur Spotlight: Carmin Awadzi
- Name: Carmin Awadzi
- Hometown: Alexandria, LA
- Current City: Wheaton, IL
- Degrees and Alma Maters: BS in Psychology from LSU, MS in Computer Science from DePaul University, and MBA in Marketing from Northwestern University
- Company name and URL: Magnolia Custom Homes
- Roles you play in life: Mother, Wife, Business Owner
- Tell us about you company: I conceptualize and build high end residential homes throughout the Chicago Area.
- What made you start your business? There was a lack of homes that reminded me of the beauty and quality of homes that I grew up with in Louisiana. The hallmarks of those homes are multiple levels of mouldings, gas lanterns, porches that are used for entertaining, gas lanterns, and just a complete timeless beauty.
- What advice would you give someone who is thinking about starting a business? Mitigate your risk as much as possible. For example, I started my business by building my personal home. We needed a new home at the time and this allowed me to test the market without having to incur the risk of a spec home.
- What is the best career advice you’ve ever received? “Do something you love, and you’ll never work a day in your life.”
- Finish this sentence, “To feel more centered I…” Exercise! Yoga, Pilates, The Bar Method. I find that when a workout is kicking your bottom, you don’t have time to think about work pressures. This allows you to clear your head for an hour or so.
- What is your favorite travel destination? Accra, Ghana. My husband is from there and Americans don’t realize the beauty and culture they are missing out on by not visiting.
- What three things can’t you live without? My family, Amazon Prime, and my hairstylist
- What is the last thing you purchased that you adore? My Chanel Maxi Flap bag in Caviar leather.
- What words do you live by? “Do unto others….”