Published on November 14th, 2012 | by thevyne0
The Vyne 9: City Slicker Apps and Tips
Once upon a time, getting to know the city nearest you consisted of hoping into a car and driving around. Getting to know a city you were visiting consisted of relying on friends and family who live in that city to take you around. But oh through the miracle of technology and media, so much more is at the tip of your fingers. Check out these nine apps and tips to up your “city slicker” quotient:
1. Gilt City – Online destination for exploring an eclectic mix of deals, hot spots and happenings by city.
2. Watch TV – Check out the reality shows and where they are eating, lounging, shopping in that city. Jot them down and go check them out. At the very least, you know they’ve been vetted.
3. Thrillist – This content rich online destination and iPhone app is a mash up of cool local spots, good eats and weekend things to do curated by city.
4. Hotel Tonight – Feeling like a getaway to a nearby city but not sure where to stay? Check out this online destination and iPhone app that curates last minute hotel deals.
5. Eat Street – If you love a good food truck meal, then this is the app companion for you the next time you explore a new city (or your own!) This app shows you all the nearest and yummiest food trucks by proximity. It’s sponsored and inspired by the Cooking Channel show of the same name.
6. Foodspotting – If you’ve ever visited a city, eaten at a new restaurant and took a photo of the food to encourage others to go there, then this is definitely the online destination and app for you. Think Pinterest meets Foursquare for food! You can plan your city visit around the mouthwatering food pics on the site.
7. Now – This iPhone app is great for all the visual city explorers out there. It detects events in your city and shows you photos taken by others there. It’s like checking the spot out before deciding if you want to go.
8. eSeats – If events are what drives your interest to check out a new city then this is the perfect companion app. It literally puts every concert, sporting, and theatre event at your fingertips. It sorts events by category and allows you to purchase tickets through their secure interface.
9. Local Eats – This online destination and app is for the true foodie snob. It only curates local dining options, no national chains which allows you to explore the foods that are special to that city.