Phenomenal Women

Published on January 8th, 2012 | by thevyne

Vyne Reader Spotlight: Dionne Vernon

Name: Dionne Vernon

Hometown: Philadelphia, PA. (Born in Jamaica, West Indies)

Roles you play in life: In Jamaica, we have a saying: “I’m the head cook and bottle washer”—meaning, I play a lot of roles; daughter, sister, auntie, friend, and mentor.  I’m looking forward to the role of “wife” one day J

Education: M.B.A Marketing

Occupation: Cable Industry: Care Strategy & Operations, Program Management

3 Words that describe you: tenacious, pragmatic, fun

What is your favorite movie?: Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen)

Shuffle your iPod – what’s the first song that comes up?: Abba – Dancing Queen, but I like anything old school and various genres

What is your favorite travel destination?: Vietnam

What beauty product can’t you live without?: Laura Mercier Foundation & Christian Dior Extase Mascara (must have if you like full lashes)

Finish this sentence, “To feel more centered I…”: listen to music, but also when I visit remote places  and experience new cultures

Who are your tv/film fashion inspirations?: Audrey Hepburn—I love her sense of style and sophistication and she was a brilliant actress

What is your favorite restaurant?: Anything Asian—Tiffin and Vietnam Restaurants in Philadelphia

What is your favorite hobby/pastime?: International Travel

What am I most proud of?: My ability to adapt and keep pressing, no matter what!

What words do you live by?: As my grandmother (Dear-Ma) always said: “God is in Charge!”

About the Author

11 Responses to Vyne Reader Spotlight: Dionne Vernon

1. Imani says:

Yay Dionne! Great to see you in the spotlight!

2. Dee says:

Thanks Imani! I’m a huge Vyne fan, so it’s an honor to be featured! Thanks for checking out my profile (smile.

3. Liz says:

Hi Dee
    Awesome!! You are such a brilliant woman

4. Cheryl says:

Hi Dione,
    I am Kailei’s mom. I also love Asian food. You mentioned one of your favorite destinations is Vietnam. I may be visiting Vietnam later this year to teach. What are your favorite spots? Any helpful hints to know when traveling there? Thanks and all the best to you. You seem like a very dynamic woman.

5. katherine Kemp says:

This is great Dionne. I’m looking forward to what is next for you. You are a treasure.

6. Dee says:

Hello Ms. Cheryl: it is such a pleasure to communicate with you. I really enjoyed reading your profile as well–thanks for continuing to pave the way!
    I suspect that you’re well traveled, so you’re familiar with the usual travel tips around careful eating, drinking bottled water only, no ice, get your shots, etc.
    I enjoyed the energy of Ho Chi Minh city (former Saigon–major city, hustle bustle–fast paced, heavy traffic, great food and museums). If you go that far, you may as well take the opportunity to head up north to experience Halong Bay–beatiful scenery. Hue is a great town by the water–quaint with great shops…there I got my tailor made suite (a must do when you go to Vietnam, and places like Hong Kong). The people are very friendly—you will and very forgiving regarding the war. It’s interesting to understand their perspective regarding the war by going to the museum in Ho Chi Minh city. All in all a great cultural experience. Given that you will be close to Cambodia, it would be great to head over to see the Ankor Wat temples–amazing!! And learn first hand about the Pol Pot Regime–another human atrocity/genocide. Sad. Please don’t hesitate to contact me (thru Keesha) should you need to talk further.
    Can you share more about what you will be teaching and time of year you’re going? It can get extremely hot over there in the summer months. I’m thrilled about your opportunity to teach in Vietnam…how incredible!!

7. Dee says:

…correction above…I meant to say, the Vietnamese people are very forgiving about the war, meaning they have moved on and look forward.

By the way, if you love art, you will many many galleries to visit. Although some are heavily mass produced, you will find real galleries with great originals, etc.

8. Dee says:

Thank you Kathy! Just trying to follow in your footsteps!

9. Dee says:

For Ms. Cheryl Richardson….I too went to Binghamton University (smile).

10. leila says:

Go Dionne! you’re too fierce:)

11. Dee says:

Thanks Leila! Just trying to be like you!! Loved your article!! Keep blazing the trail and make us proud!! Waiting for your line of derma products 🙂