Published on August 7th, 2011 | by thevyne0
Simple Ways to Shave Calories
Have you ever felt like you were gaining weight despite your best efforts of cutting out fatty or sugary foods? Well here are some simple ways to shave off calories and slim down your waistline:
1. Drink water: We’ve all heard that it’s best to drink 8 glasses of water per day. But we’re not only saying drink your 8 glasses, we’re saying, cut out the other stuff. A 20 oz bottle of soda can run you 250-275 empty calories. Though many think that having a diet soda instead is the better alternative, a recent study showed that diet sodas can also lead to weight gain and type 2 diabetes. Plain good old fashioned water is always the best option for your health and your caloric intake.
2. Always order small/tall drinks: Here’s a way to manage your calories the next time you go to your favorite café: always order the smallest size on the menu, especially if it’s a sweetened drink. For most women, the small really is enough. And whatever you do, NEVER, EVER order a venti or a large. Sticking to skim milk (unless you’re lactose intolerant) is also a good rule to follow. A tall mocha with skim milk without whipped cream can save you 120 calories over a grande with whipped cream and 180 calories over a venti with whipped cream.
3. Pick mustard instead of mayo: Picking regular mustard as a condiment instead of mayo will save you over 50 calories per tablespoon.
4. Pick one: If you’re going to indulge in something, pick one item to indulge in. In other words, if you want a burger, lay off of the fries and shake. If you want the shake, get a salad or grilled chicken sandwich instead.
5. Eat half: Restaurant portions tend to be enough for 2-3 meals. So when you order something from a restaurant, ask the server to serve you half and immediately wrap up the rest. This helps you save money and calories at the same time!
6. Use Substitutes: We enjoy our chocolate but munching on a piece here or a piece there than pack on the calorie and the weight. So try substituting your chocolate cravings with these great tasting chocolatey alternatives in moderation: Weight Watchers Chocolate Cookies & Cream Ice Cream Bar (contains 4g of fiber and is 130 calories) or Fudgesicle (only 100 calories).