Published on February 19th, 2011 |
by Kailei Carr
Closet Essentials: Staples and Statements
In our “closet essentials” articles we try to feature items that every woman should have on hand. This time we’re focusing on “staple” and “statement” pieces. Staples are classic items that can be mixed and matched with many different pieces. They are the foundation to an ensemble, but not the “main character.” Statement pieces are conversation starters. You know, those pieces that whenever you wear them people stop to tell you “I love that!” These items can jazz up any outfit. Here are some suggestions to get you started:
1. Dark Wash Skinny or Straight-leg Jeans: These are your go-to jeans that can work as a legging altertative with a long, belted button down shirt and boots or dressed up with a cute top and pumps. Check out these Skyline Jeans by Paige Premium Denim
3. Throw-over Cardigan: Open cardigans are essential for almost any season. In the summer they are great for the office when the air conditioning may be too high and in the spring they can be thrown over an outfit as a light jacket. This open front tiered cardigan by Studio M
can go over just about anything.
4. Everything Bag: Oh, the everything bag. We all have it. It’s the big handbag that just about everything goes into: notebooks, wallet, makeup, hand sanitizer, baby wipes, an umbrella, and maybe even a pair of shoes. It’s not your “let me look cute” bag, it’s your everyday can’t-live-without-it bag. This chic Akris bag is perfect because it’s big enough to be your everyday bag, but has a stunning silhouette that is anything but “everyday.”
5. Colorful Statement Shoe: Every woman needs to have fierce shoes in a fun color to add a little drama to every and any outfit. These red Jimmy Choo snake and mesh booties have just the right amount of drama to do the trick.
6. Fun Jacket: Fun jackets are especially helpful in the winter months to go over cute dresses or shirts to keep you warm. Even better, they can make a simple dress or t-shirt and jeans suddenly stunning. Something like this Robert Rodriguez sequin bib jacket can bring in some edge as well.
7. Interesting Belt: Belts are a great way to accentuate your waist or instantly change a look of a shirt or dress. Top Shop’s grey suede Frill Cumberland belt is great because it has visual interest but is just the right width to be versatile enough to go with many looks.
8. Statement Necklace: A statement necklace that’s colorful can make any neutral outfit pop. Try something with an unusual shape like this Amrita Singh Sag Harbor necklace.