Published on October 9th, 2010 | by thevyne0
Vyne Reader Spotlight: Tina-Gaye "Bernie" Bernard
Hometown: Fort Lauderdale, Florida via Kingston, Jamaica, West Indies
Roles you play in life: Cosmetic Executive, Avid Community Contributor, Public Speaker, Mentor, Mentee, Big Sister, Daughter, Girlfriend, Soror, Ethnic Beauty Expert, Aspiring Author, Socialista, ‘Cocoa Chic’, Epicurean, Brooklynite
Hobbies: Community Service, Public Speaking, Writing, Foodie, Traveling, Retail Therapy, Entertaining
Education: Master of Professional Studies in Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing and Management, Fashion Institute of Technology (New York, NY), Bachelor of Science in Public Relations, University of Florida (Gainesville, FL)
What is the last movie you saw?: Sex And The City 2
What is your favorite TV show?: Currently – Bravo Real Housewives (all series), Bravo Top Chef, HBO Entourage, HBO Big Love. Classic – A Different World, The Cosby Show, Girlfriends, Sex And The City.
Shuffle your iPod – what’s the first song that comes up?: Someone To Love Me For Me by Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam feat Full Force
What is your favorite travel destination?: ‘J’adore Paris’ and absolutely ‘amore’ all of and everything ‘per l’Italia’ – culture, architecture, fashion, furniture, leather goods, cuisine, language, breathtaking cities – Roma, Firenze, Pisa, Venezia, Milano. However, my island roots compel me to favor Caribbean destinations most; I treasure the tranquility and openness of the ocean, sun exposure, and ease of living.
What beauty product can’t you live without?: Professionally, I work in the beauty industry and personally, I am a cosmetics enthusiast. My access and desire makes my list quite exhaustive, but this (supposed) short list is only the start and forms the core of my arsenal.
Black Opal Flawless Perfecting Concealer (Beautiful Bronze), Black Opal True Color Crème Stick (Carob), Black Opal Deluxe Finishing Powder (Deep), Jay Manuel Manual Override Prepare Silicone Primer, Sue Devitt Complexion Makeup Seaweed Series (Tirari Desert)
Moroccan Oil Intensive Hydrating Hair Mask, Elasta QP Hair Glaze, Hamadi Beauty organic hair care, Pantene Relaxed & Natural hair care
Jo Malone Amber Lavender Body Crème, Ambi Soft & Even Creamy Oil Lotion, Aveeno Stress Relief Moisturizing Lotion, Michael Kors Barefoot Beauty Crème, Qiora Slow Down Massage
Finish this sentence, “To feel more centered I…”: Workout or Walk, Attend Episcopal or Catholic mass church service, Sunbathe near body of water, Respite at my mother’s home
Who is your celebrity fashion inspiration?:
- Eva Marcille Pigford is tastefully provocative, wears modern pieces with a twist that standout without overkill, accompanied by fierce, fresh natural or gently processed short hairstyles.
- “Mahogany” film character Tracy Chambers played by Diana Ross wore unapologetically unique, bold, cross-culturally influenced designs.
- Sarah Jessica Parker is able to interchange vintage and contemporary styles and always look undeniably fabulous as well as statement-making, without coming across as contrived style.
- Nia Long channels ‘effortless chic’, worldly yet down to earth; her beautiful face and signature neutral makeup look of subtle glamour, fashion a perennial statement.
- Michelle Obama makes fashion selections that are, foremost, true to [her] self, not trends or industry direction, she’s skillfully adept at accentuating her best physical features, and she brings modernity with an easy grace to the most highly visible fashion icon for women in the world.
What is your favorite restaurant? One favorite is a restrictive question for a self-described foodie. By New York City borough? Cuisine? Outside New York? Too many to name (laugh). Off the cuff, my mother’s or sister’s cooking, Craft, Kyo Ya, Trata East, Palm Restaurant, Nobu, Asia de Cuba, Negril Village, Stone Park Cafe, Cheryl’s World Bistro, Sugarcane, Outback, Cheesecake Factory, Bonefish Grill.
What words do you live by? Let the beauty of what you love be what you do. ~Jalal ad-Din Rum